Terry Jones on the Issues
The GOP-led state legislature has been wreaking havoc on our educational system. It has reduced funding for previously-lauded programs (for example, ARI) and has channeled money to private organizations benefitting very few students.
I believe we have to:
- Invest in expanding Pre-K programs to give all children an early start.
- Adequately fund effective programs like the Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative (AMSTI) and the Alabama Reading Initiative (ARI).
- Increase the availability of training programs and technical schools.
- Repeal the Alabama Accountability Act and give public dollars to public schools.
- Offer teachers professional development to retain good educators in our classrooms.
THE ECONOMY & Jobs
I support a minimum wage increase AND a strong business-oriented atmosphere.
These two things are not mutually exclusive. To support both, we must:
- Repair and develop our state's infrastructure, which will create jobs and stimulate industry.
- Create workforce development programs to train workers for skilled labor positions within the community.
- Hold businesses that receive tax subsidies accountable for creating the jobs they promise.
- Give Alabama businesses preference in state- and local-government contracts.
For the last few years, Alabama politics have been plagued by power grabs and scandal. Gerrymandering has robbed our district of fair representation. I believe in doing what is right, regardless of party. That includes:
- Closing the "legislature-to-lobby" revolving door to prevent legislators from resigning in order to take high-paying lobbyist jobs.
- Strengthening the state's Open Meetings Act to provide transparency in government affairs.
- Creating term limits for members of the legislatur
My wife Jenni is a school nurse, and so I have seen up close the value of good health. It is essential to me that everyone have access to the healthcare they need. To ensure our community is healthy, I will:
- Work to ensure that hard-working, low-income members of our community have access to, and knowledge of, preventive medicine.
- Help children thrive by ensuring that they have good health care.
We are all citizens of this county, and we all deserve a voice and a vote. To make sure we have this, I will:
- Work for easy access to voting for all eligible citizens.
- Support early voting and Saturday voting initiatives, so that people will not have to choose between working or voting.